Saturday, June 16, 2012

Fire flies and Chicago skies

I'm standing outside, between two buildings--sidewalks cut between the grass.
The perfect summer breeze makes my hair dance, and I see fireflies for the first time in years.
I hear the train plow down the tracks. Airplanes coming, airplanes going-cluttering the sky.
I step inside, pull up the blinds. Big city feel right outside your window.
People coming, people going. The bus lets off, straight ahead on the street.
Constant. Coming. And. Going.
I silence the lights. Lay down on the old brown couch and close my tired eyes.
The train howls. The planes still fly. I hear it perfectly, as if still outside.
Eyes closed, and I still see the fireflies. I feel secure. Alone, but secure. What a rare feeling.
They say the city is dangerous. Filled with crime and hate.
It's beautiful. Perfect sounds. Perfect feel.
I don't see 42 murders overnight. 
I see fireflies, trains and planes and perfect. Just perfect.
The air silences. It's quiet. No trains, no planes. The sidewalks are empty and the sky dark.
((photo by me. Thank you instagram))

"Daddy where are you?"
And my heart sinks.
I know this is what I will hear when we return.
Michigan bound tomorrow.
He will miss you.
I will miss you.
No longer close enough to O'Hare to hear the planes.
Trains wont shackle down the tracks close enough to recognize.
But for now I silence my heavy heart.
Once again, I am where I want to be.
I'm standing outside, between two buildings--sidewalks cut between the grass.
The perfect summer breeze makes my hair dance, and I see fireflies for the first time in years.
I hear the train plow down the tracks. Airplanes coming, airplanes going-cluttering the sky.
I step inside, pull up the blinds. Big city feel right outside your window.

((photo cred: timesunion.com))






Before we leave tomorrow, we will be admiring Navy Pier.
Check back tomorrow for my update and pictures I'm sure.
Until next time, Big Windy City, Until next time.



All my love,
AA


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Love!