Sunday, April 29, 2012

Oh it's been a long time...

I haven't written in quite some time. School and baby bear have kept me busy. Nursing seems less appealing these days. I really am considering a switch into Journalism, or Business Administration... Or maybe I'm just not sure. I have time. But I like a plan. And not having a plan scares the shit out of me.

In other news, my poetry binder from high school is missing...and I'm slightly devastated.I haven't looked through it in a while and really had the urge to tonight. I'm sure it's around here somewhere. After taking creative writing three years in a row, I have a lifetime of work in there.. Poems that mean so much to me.

Writing has been such a big part of my life. I don't know why I have hit this spot where I'm finding it so hard to blog these days. I have so much going on, and so much to say... but nothing seems to come out right. I know I will come out of this, just like I have before.

Also, I've come across something called the "slutwalk" Has anyone heard of it? Have you done it? It's pretty amazing, and I would like to participate this year. Detroit's SlutWalk will be announced (date and location) on May 1st. I'm pretty excited. 


The slut walk is for people (men and women) who want to take a stand for people who have been raped or molested. It began after a Canadian officer stated that women should avoid dressing like sluts so they don't get raped. The entire point of this walk is to spread awareness about these crimes, and make it known, it is never the victims fault. Here are a few facts to wrap your mind around:
  • The standard pedophile will commit 117 sexual crimes in their lifetime.

  • Most sexual abuse happens between the ages of 7 and 13.
     
  • There are over 491,720 registered sex offenders in the United States.
     
  •  Of those, 50% - 80% are known by the victim. (Relative, friend, significant other, ect.)


      "The child of five or older who knows and cares for the abuser becomes trapped between affection or loyalty for the person, and the sense that the sexual activities are terribly wrong. If the child tries to break away from the sexual relationship, the abuser may threaten the child with violence or loss of love. When sexual abuse occurs within the family, the child may fear the anger, jealousy or shame of other family members, or be afraid the family will break up if the secret is told.
A child who is the victim of prolonged sexual abuse usually develops low self-esteem, a feeling of worthlessness and an abnormal or distorted view of sex. The child may become withdrawn and mistrustful of adults, and can become suicidal. Some children who have been sexually abused have difficulty relating to others except on sexual terms."


Now that you have all been educated...
If anyone want's to do Detroit's Slutwalk with me, Let me know! If you're not near by, find out when your local walk is and participate!


Until next time, 

AA 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Love!